August 23, 2021 Calling all UK Resident N reg Aircraft Owners and FAA Licence Holders

  • As of June 2021, the CAA has prohibited the use of FAA licences held by UK residents in UK airspace. This applies to all registrations of aircraft including US N reg. You must obtain at least a UK PPL to continue to fly in the UK.
  • Because of Covid 19, the CAA extended the period to December, on the condition you obtain a Validation from a CAA examiner. See CAA website for details.
  • Many UK resident FAA licence holders have a 61.75 that is based upon their UK licence. If you have a ‘US Test Passed’ FAA IR, though, you will not be able to use it in the UK.
  • Neither can you use an IMC rating to operate your N reg aircraft in IMC conditions. See FAR 61.3(e) No person may act as pilot in command of a civil aircraft under IFR or in conditions less than VFR without an Instrument Rating.
  • To fly in IMC in the UK, you will need a UK IR.

Please get in touch if you have questions or comments.